WASHINGTON, Feb. 19, 2015 / PRNewswire — The Cohen Group announced today that Ambassador Michael Corbin, a career diplomat with extensive experience in the Middle East and the outgoing US Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, will become a Senior Counselor with the firm as part of the business activities he is undertaking from his own consulting platform. He will be based in the UAE.
“We are honored and delighted to add Ambassador Corbin to our very strong team,” said firm chairman William S. Cohen, who served as Secretary of Defense under President Clinton as well as for 24 years in the House and Senate.
During his tenure, Ambassador Corbin helped to strengthen U.S.-UAE business relations across all sectors, resulting in a significant expansion in U.S. companies exporting to the UAE.
Ambassador Corbin has significant expertise and experience in the Middle East, having previously served in Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Tunisia and Kuwait during his career in the Foreign Service in addition to his service as Ambassador to the UAE.
Prior to his service as Ambassador, he most recently served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of State in the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs. Before that, he was Minister-Counselor for Political-Military Affairs at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad from 2008 to 2009 and Charge d’Affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Damascus, Syria from 2006 to 2008. Ambassador Corbin served as Minister Counselor for Economic and Political Affairs at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo from 2003 to 2006. He was Deputy Director of the Office of Arabian Peninsula Affairs in the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs from 2001 to 2003. Ambassador Corbin served as Director of the Counter-Narcotics Section at the U.S. Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela from 1997 to 2001 and Political-Military Affairs Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, Egypt from 1994 to 1997. His first overseas post was at the U.S. Embassy in Tunis, Tunisia from 1985-1987. He served in Kuwait from 1987 to 1989. Ambassador Corbin joined the Foreign Service in 1985.
Prior to joining the Foreign Service, Ambassador Corbin served in the Peace Corps from 1982 to 1984 in Mauritania. He received a bachelor’s degree from Swarthmore College. He speaks Arabic, French, and Spanish.
In addition to his work for clients of The Cohen Group, Ambassador Corbin will also advise other clients through Corbin Crossroads Consulting.
The Cohen Group already has considerable capabilities in the UAE and the greater Middle East through the efforts of Senior Advisor Danny Sebright, who also serves as President of the US-UAE Business Council.
Ambassador Corbin also joins a number of senior leaders in The Cohen Group with deep experience in the Middle East and around the world. In addition to Secretary Cohen, these include:
- General Joseph Ralston, former NATO Supreme Allied Commander and Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff;
- Ambassador Marc Grossman, former US Ambassador to Turkey, former Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, and former US Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Ambassador Nicholas Burns, former Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs and US Ambassador to NATO and Greece;
- Admiral James Loy, former Deputy Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security and Commandant of the US Coast Guard;
- Ambassador Jeff Davidow, former Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs and U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, Venezuela, and Zambia.
- Ambassador James Smith, former US Ambassador to Saudi Arabia
- Lord George Robertson, former NATO Secretary General and Defense Minister of the United Kingdom;
- General Paul Kern, former Commander of the Army Materiel Command and the Senior Adviser for Army Research, Development and Acquisition;
- Lt. General Joe Yakovac, former Director of the Army Acquisition Corps and Military Deputy to the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology;
- Lt. General Harry Raduege, former Director of the Defense Information Systems Agency and Commander of the Joint Task Force Global Network Operations.
About The Cohen Group:
Formed in 2001, The Cohen Group is comprised of more than 60 professionals with many decades of combined experience working in top-level positions in Congress, the White House, the State Department, the Defense Department, the Department of Homeland Security, the intelligence community, other federal agencies, and in European and Asian governments, international organizations and the private sector.
With offices in Washington, London, Beijing, Tianjin, and New Delhi, The Cohen Group provides its clients the insights and intelligence needed to better understand and shape the business, political, legal, regulatory, and media environments in which they operate. This includes both developing strategic business plans to help clients achieve their objectives, and actively participating with clients in the execution of those plans. The Cohen Group practice groups include Aerospace & Defense; Homeland Security; Middle East; China; India; Telecommunications and Information Technology; Energy & Resources; Transportation & Logistics; Health Care & Life Sciences; Financial Services & Investment; and Real Estate, serving clients in North America, East Asia, South Asia, Europe, Russia, Australia, Africa and Latin America.
The Cohen Group also has a strong strategic partnership with DLA Piper, an international law firm with over 4,200 lawyers and 71 offices in 30 countries throughout the world.
For more information, please visit www.cohengroup.net.