Thursday, November 14, 2019
Home > Sports > Ashes series hero Johnson to miss World Twenty20

Ashes series hero Johnson to miss World Twenty20

Dubai: Mitchell Johnson, the most talked about cricketer of the year, will miss the International Cricket Council (ICC) World Twenty20. This fearsome left-arm pacer who destroyed England to give Australia a huge Ashes series win has been ruled out due to an infected toe.

Doug Bollinger, another left-arm pacer will replace Johnson. Australia had been depending on Johnson to come good in the World Twenty20 Cup as they have never been able to prove their might in this tournament.

Johnson was rested from the T20 matches soon after he helped Australia win the Test series against South Africa 2-1 but his infection he got from a cut in his toe did not heal. Though Johnson was administered antibiotics, it did not speed up the healing process. Johnson cut his right toe after the third Test against South Africa.

Bollinger who was gearing up to play in the Sheffield Shield final against Western Australia in Canberra will now join Australian team. He has not played for Australia since October 2011 though he was part of the team in the Ashes series. Since the selectors opted for an unchanged eleven against England throughout the series, Bollinger did not get his chance.

Talking about Johnson’s absence, national selector John Inverarity said: “This is disappointing news as it was anticipated that Mitch would have a significant impact with his pace and menace.”

Commenting on Bollinger’s selection, Inverarity said: “Doug has had significant experience in the sub-continent and in international white ball cricket and his ability to bowl with good pace was a factor in his selection.”