Damascus, For the first time in Syria and neighboring countries, a medical team at the Heart Surgery University Hospital in Damascus succeeded in performing a mitral valve replacement surgery for a 48-year-old woman.
The surgery was conducted by means of endoscopy through a small side incision without opening the chest.
Speaking to SANA, General Manager of the Hospital Dr. Hussam Kheder said that the surgery lasted about three hours and was supervised by an integrated medical staff from the hospital after conducting the necessary tests.
He pointed out that the surgery is a low risk and the need for blood is less compared to traditional surgical procedures as bleeding associated with it is little. Only 200 ml of blood was transmitted for the patient instead of dozens of times this amount if performed in the manner of opening the chest. This kind of surgeries is distinguished in the sense that it is done through a small side incision which does not leave skin abnormalities.
He indicated that the patient can return to his normal life after ten days instead of three months as previously.
The Heart Surgery University Hospital in Damascus is gearing up for other special and distinctive surgeries at the level of Syria and the region during the coming period.
Kheder added that 70% of the surgeries carried out at the Hospital are completely free and the remaining 30% are performed at nominal prices.
The Hospital was opened in 1974 and is conducting all kinds of open-heart surgeries, pediatric heart surgeries, cardiac catheterization, thrombectomy and many other kinds of surgeries related to heart diseases.
The Hospital includes 100 standard beds, 14 beds for intensive care and 3 operation rooms.
Source: Syrian Arab News Agency