Johannesburg: The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Thursday cleared top South African official Haroon Lorgat of involvement in comments made against the world body in a dispute over an India tour.
India had protested to the ICC accusing Lorgat of colluding with the then Cricket South Africa (CSA) legal consultant David Becker in a dispute over how many games India should play in a tour.
Lorgat was named CSA chief executive last year but has had the inquiry by an independent adjudicator hanging over him.
Announcing that Lorgat has been cleared, ICC president Alan Isaac said: “The ICC notes and accepts the decision of the independent adjudicator.
“We are pleased that this matter has been resolved and that all parties can move on in a spirit of mutual co-operation.”
CSA president Chris Nenzani said “this matter has been properly investigated and resolved. As a consequent of the findings, CSA have no hesitation in immediately lifting restrictions placed on Lorgat.”
Reacting to an Indian decision to slash a tour of South Africa from 12 matches to five, Becker criticised the world body for allowing an international tour agreement, the Future Tours Programme (FTP), to be “blatantly disregarded”.
According to the FTP, India were scheduled to play three Tests, seven one-day internationals and two Twenty20 internationals.
India played only two Tests and three one day internationals, delivering a major financial blow to South Africa.
A condition for the tour going ahead was that Lorgat would have no involvement.
India were reportedly unhappy with the appointment of Lorgat as CSA chief executive following clashes with him when he worked for the ICC.