PERTH/KUALA LUMPUR: Australia’s prime minister said Sunday that he was hopeful a clue will emerge soon to narrow the hunt for Flight 370, as relatives of Chinese passengers on the plane protested in Malaysia to demand that the government apologize for its handling of the search.
So far, even though more ships are scouring the area off western Australia, none of the recovered items has been connected to the Malaysia Airlines plane that crashed March 8 with 239 people on board.
“My understanding from this morning is that there has been no discrete debris associated with the flight,” Australian Navy Commodore Peter Leavy told reporters Sunday.
Almost 30 relatives of Chinese passengers on the missing flight arrived Sunday in Kuala Lumpur to demand answers about the plane’s fate, with some calling for an apology from Malaysia’s government.
In Sydney, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott described the “intensifying search effort” as positive because objects “have been recovered from the ocean.”
The Australian Maritimes Safety Authority said 10 planes took part in the search Sunday, leaving in staggered times from the western city of Perth. Eight ships were on the scene, including the Australian navy supply ship HMAS Success, which is to store any wreckage found.