Friday, September 20, 2019
Home > Sports > OMAN FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION DENIES FIFA MEETING ON QATAR 2022 WORLD CUP BID IN OMAN

OMAN FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION DENIES FIFA MEETING ON QATAR 2022 WORLD CUP BID IN OMAN

MUSCAT, Oman, June 2- The Oman Football Association (OFA) has once again denied any knowledge of a meeting between the Fifa officials and 2022 World Cup organisers in Muscat, as reported by international media.

The meeting is supposed to discuss alleged payments made by Qatar officials to win the 2022 soccer world cup bid.

Speaking to the Times of Oman, Sayyid Khalid Al Busaidi, chairman of OFA said, he is “unaware” of any such meeting between Garcia and Qatari officials in Muscat. “As far as OFA is concerned, we are not aware of any such meetings. As a normal procedure, Fifa will inform us in advance about the meeting, but frankly nothing has come so far from them,” Sayyid Khalid informed.

Meanwhile, Saleh Al Farsi, vice-chairman of OFA, laughed-off, saying the news could be a mere rumour. “Frankly, I heard this from the morning newspapers. But we are not aware of this. It could be a rumour,” he added.

According to British newspapers, a top Qatari football official paid more than $5 million, to get support for the controversial campaign to host the 2022 World Cup. The Sunday Times said, it had obtained millions of emails, documents and bank transfers relating to alleged payments made by Mohamed Bin Hammam, who was then on the executive committee of Fifa, the sport’s global governing body.

Though Qatar has strongly denied these allegations, Fifa has asked its chief investigator, Michael Garcia, who is preparing a report on the corruption in Qatar’s bid. According to reports, Garcia has planned to meet the Qatar officials in Oman, that is chosen as a neutral venue.

SOURCE: ONA