Dubai: The European Tour on Sunday announced that the Race to Dubai will continue to the 2017 season.
A minimum prize fund of $8 million (Dh29.39 million) remains for the season-ending event, but the bonus pool has been increased to $5 million up from its current $3.75 million.
Jumeirah Golf Estates will continue to stage the championship at the Earth course, but at least one staging of the event will be switched to the complex’s Fire course between 2014 and 2017.
The European Tour will also open an international office within the venue’s new clubhouse by 2014 and acquire property within the grounds. The announcement, made on the sidelines of the DP World Tour Championship, follows last week’s unveiling of the European Tour Performance Institute at Jumeirah Golf Estates.
European Tour CEO George O’Grady said: “It was 25 years ago that I came to Dubai for the first time for the first Dubai Desert Classic. Since then, we have helped to grow the game here and throughout the whole of the UAE.
“They have rewarded us with an incredible growth of courses alongside the facilities they provide to all our players. Thanks to the leadership and vision of DP World, the tremendous contribution of everyone at Jumeirah Golf Estates and the continued commitment of our partners, the future of the Race to Dubai is exceptionally positive.”
Yousuf Kazim, general manager of Jumeirah Golf Estates, said: “We are delighted to be extending the agreement. And we are all very excited with this mutually beneficial partnership.”