Monday, October 21, 2019
Home > Business & Finance > SYRIAN ARMY FOILS REBEL ATTACK IN ALEPPO

SYRIAN ARMY FOILS REBEL ATTACK IN ALEPPO

DAMASCUS, Syria, - The second wave of rebel attack on government-controlled areas in the northern city of Aleppo on Thursday, has largely failed to achieve its goals, a military source said.

The attack on the Dahyeit al-Assad and Menyan suburbs in western Aleppo failed, as the Syrian army and allied fighters foiled the attack, after destroying booby-trapped vehicles and a tank the rebels were using in Dahyeit al-Assad, the source said on condition of anonymity.

Several rebel leaders were also killed during the battles that raged on Thursday, after the Jaish a-Fateh rebel group, or the Army of Conquest, declared the commencement of the second stage of a wide-scale offensive they started last Friday.

The Syrian air force struck the rebel positions near Menyan and Dahyeit al-Assad, killing tens of militants, and that the Syrian forces thwarted the attack on Menyan.

The rebels' second attack killed 12 people, as a result of the intense shelling on government-controlled areas in western Aleppo.

Last Friday, the rebels launched the first offensive to break the Aleppo siege, firing hundreds of mortar shells and grad rockets, and killing over 82 civilians.

The rebels also fired rockets with chemical gas on Menyan earlier this week, causing many people with suffocation, before repeating the attack on Thursday.

The Syrian army has laid siege on rebel-held areas in Aleppo in recent months, urging the rebels to surrender themselves or leave eastern Aleppo to other rebel-held areas in the north-western province of Idlib.

But the rebels didn't comply and went on several attacks to wobble the government siege.

Source: Nam News Network