Thursday, August 22, 2019
Home > General > UN Warns New Wave of Terrorist Attacks Possible Before End of This Year

UN Warns New Wave of Terrorist Attacks Possible Before End of This Year

TEHRAN The United Nations warned that a new wave of terror attacks may occur before the end of this year, as tens of thousands of foreigners, who had traveled abroad to join the Daesh or other terrorist groups, are said to be still alive.

Specialist monitors at the UN Security Council said in a report that despite recent decrease in attacks across the globe, terrorism continues to pose a significant threat to the world as up to 30,000 foreigners who traveled to the Iraq or Syria for joining the Daesh might still be alive, World News reported.

Extremists from across Europe joined Daesh in droves in 2014, when the Takfiri terror group launched its campaign of death and destruction in Iraq and Syria.

European countries estimated that as many as 6,000 people traveled to the two Arab countries back then. About a third were killed, while another third remain detained in the region or have moved elsewhere.

Their future prospects will be of international concern for the foreseeable future, the report noted, adding, Some may join al-Qaeda or other terrorist brands that may emerge.

Europe has so far been unwilling to take back citizens who traveled to join Daesh, saying they pose a security threat to the European Union member states.

US President Donald Trump has warned that some 2,500 jihadists captured by Washington and its allies in Syria and Iraq could soon be roaming European soil unless the EU agrees to take back expat fighters of its own accord.

Trump has repeatedly voiced his dismay at the EU's reluctance to repatriate and prosecute European fighters captured in the Middle East. On Thursday, he made another thinly veiled threat to allow hundreds of battle-hardened terrorists return to Europe.

That is not the first time Trump demanded Europe take back its nationals who went to Syria and Iraq to fight on the side of Islamic State (IS) and other terrorist entities. In February, Trump was talking about 800 ISIS fighters � less than a third of the current number.

Back then, Trump stated that jihadists were likely to permeate Europe once US forces withdraw after the caliphate's defeat, which he attributes solely to American efforts.

The threat did not sit well with European countries. While some were simply taken aback by the proposal.

Back in January, France announced it was considering the repatriation of 130 men and women to be tried, but a month later no progress appeared to have been made. French officials also stated last year that they were working on plans to return children born to foreign fighters.

Earlier this year, Germany said that a third of its estimated 1,000 nationals who are believed to have joined Daesh in Iraq and Syria since 2013, have returned to their homeland. Many of those have since been prosecuted or placed into rehabilitation programs, Berlin added.

Source: Fars News Agency