There’s plenty to do in and around the tennis stadium, and not all of it includes a racquet and ball. Here’s tabloid!’s guide to doing the tennis.
• Don’t miss the ladies matches: Tickets are available for the whole week, and if you go in the early rounds, such as on Monday, you’re guaranteed to see a world-class player. Tickets for Monday start at Dh75.
• Get dressed up: Thursday during the ladies week is Ladies Day, and this year it falls on February 13. If you’re a woman, and you’re attending the tennis that day, get your best look together for a chance to win tickets to the ladies’ finals, among other prizes. Two players select the best dressed of the day — head to the Tennis Village at 6pm to get photographed by tabloid! for a chance to win,
• Get published: There’s a chance for anyone attending the tennis to have their picture taken by tabloid!. We’ll be there every day at the Tennis Village shooting for our ‘Being There’ page.
• Meet the players: If you want to spot a star, just hang out near the barriers between Irish Village and the Tennis Village (where the Dubai Duty Free shop is). This is the route the players take from their hotel, the Jumeirah Creekside, to the stadium, and there’s a chance for you to snap a picture as they walk past. Want to get even closer? The men’s autograph session takes place on February 24 at 1.30pm at the Tennis Village.
• Watch the men’s — without a ticket: The men’s week tickets are sold out, but if you weren’t quick enough off the baseline to grab them, don’t fret: There’s always a big screen put up next to the pond at Irish Village, and with the sounds of the crowds just behind you, it’s easy to feel part of the action.
• Watch the men’s finals — with a selfie: Take part in the #DDFSelfie competition, on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of each week. If you’re a ticketholder, take a photograph of yourself in the Centre Court Grandstand holding your ticket or wristband for that day’s play, then send it via instagram, twitter or foursquare to be in the running to win two finals tickets.
• Be a FANtastic fan: The Thursday of men’s week is a day when all are encouraged to show up and show their spirit — through their costumes. There are men’s finals tickets up for grabs for the best fan costume, as judged by one of the players. Pictures will be taken all day at the Tennis Village.